Mike and Me

So, last night The Front Door held a brewers night with Mike Hale in attendance from Hale’s Brewery.  You may remember from our vacation in Seattle last March that Shelley, Robert and I attended a St. Patrick’s day brewer’s dinner at Hale’s Brewery.  If you missed it, you can read it here.  During dinner I met and spoke with Mike Hale for about 15 – 20 minutes as we talked about Boise and home brewing.  He ended up sitting down and joining us for that conversation and Shelley took this photo of Mike and I.   During that conversation he told me he was going to be coming back to Boise this summer but didn’t have the dates.  So as soon as I got home I made an 8×10 copy of that photograph and then sat back and waited.

Well, last night was his brewer’s night, so like a good little stalker, I showed up.

I got there early, thinking that it might be crowded.  Well, I got there at 5:30 (it started at 6:00) and there was only three other people in the bar.  I forgot that Live After 5 was still going on at The Grove.  Mike arrived about 5:45 and after shaking hands with the staff and all, he asked me what I was drinking.  Obviously, he didn’t recognize me.  We talked a minute and then I brought out the photo and reminded him about the dinner.  He got a kick out of the photo and then signed it for me.  I thanked him then started back over to my table.  He said, “Where you going.  Come on back and join me.”  I sat at his table the rest of the night!

mike and me

I wasn’t the only person there of course.  He had a lot of friends who stopped by and joined him for drinks.  Mainly they were beer distributors from Boise and various restaurants in town.  I met the beer manager from Bardanays.  We chatted about beer and he told me about a beer trip he took all around Oregon and Washington.  That sounded like a real fun trip.  He talked about how he’s trying to bring better beers from smaller breweries from the northwest.  I gave him two thumbs up.  He bought me a beer.  I have him more thumbs up!

Mike had to make the rounds inside the bar talking to other patrons and home brewers.  The bar gave away T-shirts and stuff in raffles.  I won a free pizza, but no shirt.  Bummer.

I talked to him a bit about home brewing, but mostly about hiking and camping in Washington and Idaho.  He climbed Mt Rainer (I didn’t ask when) so we talked about that.  I told him about our hike up Hood and our camping trips in the Sawtooth Mountains.  It was pretty cool.

I went to the dinner by myself.  Shelley had soccer practice from 6:00 – 8:00 and I really didn’t think I’d stay till the dinner was over at 9:00.  So she didn’t stop by.  She was understandably tired from practice and work.  I called Hawk the night before but his voice mail at work said he was out in the field.  So, I was on my own.  Well, Hawk wasn’t out in the field and he called me at the bar when he found out what was going on.  He said was coming right down.

I felt really bad not being able to get a hold of him.  It would have been cool to have him along at Mike’s table.  As it was, he got down there pretty late, maybe about 8:30.  Mike was pretty much finished and Hawk didn’t get a chance to talk to him.  Bummer.  Hawk and I ended up staying till about 10:00 before we left.

All in all it was a pretty cool night.


One Response to “Mike and Me”

  1. trexmom Says:

    Very cool! He seems like a cool guy. Glad you had a good time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: