I brewed a new beer and a new recipe last Sunday. I took some ideas from a couple different recipes I found online and punched it into a brewing calculator online to make sure it would work. We’ll see how things work out in about a month.
Here is the recipe I came up with:
1 ¼ oz British Chocolate
5 oz Flaked Wheat
5 oz British Crystal 50 – 60L
6 ½ oz British Pale
6 lbs of dry light malt extract
3 lbs of dry amber malt extract
1 ¼ lbs of brown sugar
3 oz of Fuggles
½ oz of Fuggles (aroma hops)
Here’s a picture Shelley took of me putting the malt extract into the boil pot. I just finished steeping the grains and removed them, now I add the malts, sugar and hops and start a 60 minute boil.
Here’s a short video of the boil.
Once the boil was finished, it was time to just sit back and wait. About 15 minutes from the end of the boil I put in my new wort chiller. I went to one of the local brewing supply stores and the guy there helped me make my chiller from stuff I bought at Home Depot. It turned out okay and worked just fine. I think I will add some length to it. Right now it’s only 25′ long and when I boil 4 gallons I don’t think it is tall enough inside the wort. Once the boil was finished I transferred it to the primary fermentor.
It’s a pretty ghetto set up in the laundry room. In fact, everything about The Summit Ridge Brewing Company is pretty ghetto. I just set the boil pot on the counter and let it pour into the primary. This aerates the wort at the same time. Pretty simple. Shelley takes a spoon (sterilized of course) and clears openings in the foam so I can pour the yeast right into the beer instead of on top of the foam. I don’t know if that makes a difference, but I do it just the same. You can see the 7 gallon glass carboy on the counter as well. That will be my secondary fermentor when I make the transfer.
That’s where things stand for right now. I will update as the process continues.