Five Pounds of Honey

I brewed this summer’s Honey Wheat this afternoon.  I made some slight changes to this year’s version.  I increased the amount of honey from 3 1/2 pounds to 5 pounds and I changed the way the honey was added to the beer.  In previous incarnations, I added all 3 1/2 pounds at the start of the boil.  This has worked well, but didn’t add enough honey aroma or flavor.  So I split up the 5 pounds into two parts.  The first 3 pounds went into the boil with the malts like before, but I held back the final 2 pounds till after the boil was complete, but while the wort was still hot.  My hope is this will add to the honey aroma and flavor since I won’t be boiling off the honey.  We’ll see in about six weeks.

I had some guests come by and say hi today too.  While in Seattle I picked up some tickets for Troy and Rika for the U2 concert in June.  They were buying them from a private seller and since I was in Seattle it was easier for me to give the guy the cash while taking possession of the tickets.  That way someone could check out the tickets in person.  So, today, they came by to pick up the tickets and check out the brew.

Of course I had to put Troy to work.  The photo wasn’t staged either.  Troy stirred in about four pounds of malt for me while he visited.  Here is a shot of the honey going into the boil.

Once the malts and first hop bag were in, it was time to relax and enjoy a brew and cigar with the best view in town.

A sure sign of brewing a honey wheat are the bees that try to come by for a sniff.

Jake, on the other hand, was not interested in the brewing process at all.  He prefers to hang out in his safe place and watch the paint on the walls.

All went well with the boil.  I started with 4 gallons of water and finished with just under 4 gallons.  I usually end up boiling off too much water, but I kept a good eye on it this time and only lost about a quart.  Here are the hops bags coming out of the boil.

Here is the transfer from the boil pot to the primary.  This transfer method has really worked well for me.  It’s an easy way to aerate the wort prior to pitching the yeast.

Here are the numbers from the readings I took after the last 3 gallons of water were added to the primary.  So far, everything looks good.

Potential alcohol by volume:  7.1% (taken on the hydrometer)

Potential alcohol by volume:  7.4% (taken from the calculator)

Specific Gravity T60 degrees (Original Gravity):  1.055 (measured at 70 degrees)

Actual Original Gravity after computing for temperature:  1.056

Balling: 13.75% (taken from Hydrometer)

Balling: 13.87% (taken from calculator)

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Five Pounds of Honey”

  1. Shell Says:

    Mmmmm…. I can’t wait to try this one…

    Like

  2. The Honey Ale is in the Keg « News From Summit Ridge Says:

    […] Honey Ale is in the Keg June 27, 2010 — rich Here’s the link to the brewing of this beer back in […]

    Like


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: