The Plan

It’s 6:20 am here in Talkeetna as I type this.  Normally I wouldn’t write till I actually know something for sure about whether we are going or not.  However, last night we learned that the Talkeetna Air Taxi (TAT) guys we are flying with called in all their pilots last night for this morning and pushed back all their sightseeing flights.  The speculation seems to be that we are going to fly this morning.  I say speculation because the weather can be so iffy around base camp.  But there is lot a people on the glacier trying to get out and a lot of people here trying to get in and TAT want’s to be sure they can service everyone.  The good news is that we are first on the waiting list to fly.  Also, our bags are sitting on fully fueled bird on the taxi way.  Once we get the OK to go, we’ll be rolling in about 5 minutes.

So, I just want to outline what the plan is if we do fly this morning.  If we make it in today, we won’t be moving till sometime around 3:00 – 4:00 am tomorrow morning.  That would be Wednesday morning.  It’s too warm to move during the day on the lower glacier.  We have been planning on setting a half camp as well instead of moving all the way to camp 1.  Again, this is mainly due to the crevice danger on the lower glacier.  Now, if the conditions on the lower glacier have improved over the last few days, we may move all the way to camp 1 to get back on schedule.  We don’t plan on that outcome however, so expect us to stop at half camp.

You may be wondering how we can only be one day behind schedule but three days late getting into basecamp.  The reason is because of the glacier travel and crevice rescue classes we need to refresh ourselves with before moving to half camp.  Had we got into basecamp on schedule on Sunday, we would have spent the night there and spent Monday doing all the classes.  Then Tuesday morning around 3:00 or 4:00 am we would have moved to half camp.  Because of the delay, we have been doing all those refresher classes at the airfield.  So once we get into basecamp, we’ll probably cover setting anchors (since there is not snow at the airfield) and then move to half camp tomorrow morning.  One day late.

Yeah, it’s a little frustrating.  We’ve had to spend extra money on two nights in our B&B and extra meals.  Not counting the sitting around bored part of things.  But the B&B is great.  They are discounting our stay now so we aren’t paying full price.  The service here is great and so are the people, so that helps things.  Everyone is still real motivated and positive as well.

I don’t have much else.  Breakfast is in about 10 minutes.  As soon as I  know whether we are flying I’ll drop a short post.  It won’t be much detail since I put most of it in this post.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: